Featured post

[TRANSLATION] WHAT'S In? Interview April 2013


Thanks to  L'Arc~en~ciel UK Fans Unite (English Street Team)

The Grand Finale of the band's 20th Anniversary Year

L'Arc~en~Ciel's 2012 world tour saw the band tour 10 different cities, bringing together 450,000 fans. The grand finale was held over 2 days at the National Stadium, which being situated in central Tokyo only allows one group to play at the venue per year. The live footage from these legendary gigs are due to be released in 13 different versions. We have interviewed the members for the first time since returning from their world tour.


:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*::*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*


hyde

One of the provisos behind L’Arc~en~Ciel’s activities is to continue to evolve and enhance their presence as a band. This is one of the reasons behind the band's constant flexibility and the high quality of their creations. At the same time, this is the ‘fate’ which the members have given themselves in their continuing path as a band. Because each member embraces this ‘fate’, the band continues to build new grounds and look further towards the future. Last year, the band played at the National Stadium, where they marked the grand finale of the world tour.  The footage from this live, which left a landmark in the band’s evergrowing history, is about to be released. We asked hyde about his thoughts.

Q: The limited edition DVD of the “20th L’Anniversary WORLD TOUR 2012 THE FINAL LIVE at the National Stadium” comes with the live audio from each of the places you played during the world tour. That’s a total of 10 different DVDs – more deluxe than ever before.

h: Our 20th anniversary year marked a milestone in our career – both the world tour and the other lives too. The gigs we played during our world tour tend to all be rolled into one as “ the world tour”, but each and every live was massive and very precious to us – we managed to play in places that Japanese artists had never played before. So we wanted to include every single one of them. I think we’re lucky that we managed to tour the world when the condition of the band was so good, and I’m glad that we can now release them too. A band's condition can fluctuate, which can be quite drastic at times. But the recordings from each of the lives this time sound good. So I’m really happy.

Q: What do you think of the live audio?

h: We haven’t released many live audios in the past. But I too used to listen to lots of live audios from bands like Metallica. Recorded audio obviously has its strengths, but live audios have a sense of dramatic vividness, like if you were actually there, at the gig. So if you listen with that in mind, you can really enjoy it – and it makes you want to turn the volume up. So I think it’ll be even more enjoyable if you listen to the tracks with that in mind, rather than casually listening to it as if it was just any other bonus track.

Q: When L’Arc~en~Ciel release live footage, what do you personally consider?

h: For L’Arc~en~Ciel, quality comes first. And also the scale. I think the scale of L’Arc~en~Ciel as a rock band is like no other band, so that’s important to portray in our footage.

Q: Do you think that people want something else from you – something special, compared to other bands?

h: I think so. That's why we work with cameramen who can shoot large scale, beautiful and high quality recordings. In the case of L’Arc~en~Ciel, I’m not interested in trying to capture the wild and aggressive atmosphere of the lives. If for instance, L’Arc~en~Ciel were playing in a live house or at a free live, then more aggressive footage may be more appropriate. But for the current state of the band, I think it should be the opposite. From such a large scale gig, you should be able to expect the quality you expect from a film or a movie, so ultimately I want it to be beautiful.

Q: I see. What do you think looking back at the National Stadium gig?

h: I think the location was amazing. It’s not every day that you get to play a gig overlooking the Shinjuku landscape.

Q: What about the fact that you took on the challenge as the first rock band to play there?

h: I’m truly honoured. I knew that some of the members wanted to play at the National Stadium. So as a band, we made a lot of effort, which made us feel all the more happier and appreciative of the fact that we could play there. It’s like we managed to earn the right to play there, including all the things we accomplished from the preparation period. So for us, it was a very precious live to be able to play.

Q: I’ve seen the footage. Was the design on the white tent above the stage an original design?

h: You mean the tent right above the stage? Actually, that was just a tent to shelter the stage in case it rained (laughing). Usually it would have just been plain white, or plain black – but I thought that would be boring, so I asked to have something printed on them. When we went to Europe during the world tour, I saw that the tents and plastic coverings that they put on the building sites always had something printed on them – like in Paris, they’d printed pictures of a classical looking building on it. It’s probably because it’s not very esthetically pleasing just left white, so they print whatever it is that they’re building on the sheet. So when I was told that we could print something on our stage tent, I requested “let’s make it look like a roof of a European building. Suitable for a “triumphant return” parade”. The result was a design featuring horses, and soldiers – but the soldiers were all holding weapons. I guess the image of “triumphant return” has the connotation of winning a battle and returning to the homeland. But I didn’t think that weapons matched what we wanted to portray. We’d travelled the world with music – we’d 'battled' playing music. So to reflect that, I asked to have all the weapons changed into music notes, or other motifs related to music. I felt quite strongly about it so I’m glad it was successful.

Q: I went to both gigs over the two days – but there were details that I didn’t notice on the day which I was able to pick up once seeing the footage.

h: Yes, I think so, in that sense live footage is very useful. It’s never going to be possible to deliver the “live” ness of being able to see the gig in person, but there’s plenty of other things that they’re good for delivering. Also, during a gig you only get to watch from one fixed angle. But the recording uses many different cameras from several angles, so there’s things you discover for the first time. In that sense recordings are better, so it’s something I want to emphasise.

Q: Including any of the live DVDs you’ve released previously, what do you think when you look back on footage from your gigs?

h: I always think “Really~? Do I have to watch it again~?” (all laugh). Having said that, once I start watching, I get drawn in (laughing). They're all brilliant lives, if I do say so myself, so I get drawn in. The National Stadium gig was like a roller coaster – it felt like a festival, with the set list being different and unconventional. There were plenty of fun and playful aspects too, so there were even things that surprised us when we looked back. It was enjoyable. I often watch back these footages as if I was a fan. The same goes for all the previous releases, but if there’s a long shot of the stage from very far away, or if there isn’t enough cool shots of a certain member, I request “I want you to find more shots of this member, which look even cooler”. I think considering these things add extra excitement to a visual recording and add a sense of anticipation for what’s coming next. Basically it’s to show every song at it’s best. By doing so the whole thing flows.

Q: What does live footage releases mean to you?

h: It’s a summary of our live performances at that certain time. In L’Arc~en~Ciel’s case, we’ve been together for 21 years now, and during that time we’ve always aspired to be at the top of the band/live scene of that time. To be honest, at the beginning I never really liked playing gigs. I would think “why do we have to play lives anyway?”. But I would, because all my favourite rock musicians were playing lives too. So for me to make it as a musician, I wanted to be an artist that would play brilliant lives. And because of that, I want the live footage to reflect the brilliance of the lives played by a cool band - to show the best of the rock musicians that we are. So to achieve this ‘best’, we try to play brilliant gigs. I want every release to reflect how I’m evolving as an artist, and I have yet to reach the 100% mark. I’m always trying to get closer to the 100% mark. The most recent live footage should show the band at its best ever, and I think that’s what we achieve. As I’ve recently discovered the joy of singing, I’ve also started to enjoy playing lives much more, so in that sense it’s a little different from when we started out. But my desire to keep record of the band at its very best and coolest at the time still hasn't changed.

Q: So this live DVD shows L’Arc~en~Ciel at its best, now.

h: Yes. The best at being festive (laughing).

Q: What do you mean by festive?

h: I think that even if someone who isn’t particularly a fan watches it, it should be enjoyable. It’s like watching a variety show. The Madison Square Garden DVD shows us more at our best, or coolest as a band. In the National Stadium gig, you can also see our cute, charming side too. So it’s more like our best at being fun and playful.


 :*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*::*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*


ken

The National Stadium gig was filled with a festive mood after the success of the world tour and 20th anniversary gigs. However what was on ken’s mind was to not focus on this, but instead to “feel the air” of the gig. The presence of “something” which requires no words, could indeed be felt in that venue.

Q: First let me ask you about the world tour. How did you approach the gigs?

k: Recently, I’ve noticed that it feels really good if I “feel the air” of the audience and the band as I stand on the stage. So I try not to set myself a stance before going on stage. I try to space out…although not too much or I’ll make mistakes (lauging) which makes it difficult. I try to smell the atmosphere as I carry on playing, looking for and sensing what feels best. Even abroad.

Q: Where did you feel had the best mix of “air”?

k: I think Indonesia, since it was outdoors. When we play outdoors the air feels more direct, more fresh. The scenery and air is different in each city – like the humidity, or the shades of the colours of the streetlights… I felt that directly during the outdoor gig.

Q: You did all your MCs in the the local languages – it must have been hard trying to prepare?

k: The preparation was indeed hard (laughing). This time round, everywhere I went I bought souvenirs for the members and that was the theme of the MCs. So as soon as I arrived in the city, I consulted the local interpretor and then went shopping for the local souvenirs which I thought the members would like. And then I had to write down what I wanted to say in Japanese, and on the day of the live I’d give that to the interpretor before the rehearsal who would translate it for me. And then after the rehearsal I had to practice my pronunciation. If I practiced in front of the Japanese staff they’d try and sense what I’m saying, so I used to go to staff that couldn’t speak Japanese at all, rehearse in front of them, and it was only good enough once they’d laughed. By which time the live was about to start. It was funny though – obviously I’m speaking in whatever language so the members wouldn’t understand what I’m saying – but somehow, if I said something like “and that doll~” they’d know which souvenir, out of several, that I’m talking about and have it in their hand! It must be instinct, they know what I’m talking about!

Q: There's no need for words, you know what eachother is thinking - it must be the bond that you’ve developed over the years.

k: Exactly! How fantastic! (laughing)

Q: And after the world tour, how did you approach the National Stadium gig?

k: For me, it was the grand finale of the massive tour that we’d been on since the Ajinomoto Stadium gig in 2011. The fans have always stuck by us, even during the times that we've been quite selfish and played gigs however we wanted, and the times when I've just been playing the guitar however I want. I’d felt that it’s thanks to them that we could continue as a band, and eventually managed to go abroad. So I wanted to say “we’re back, thank you”.

Q: So not only was it special because of the prestigious venue, but because it was a reunion with all your fans who’d seen you off?

k: Yes. It was really down to “everyone that had been waiting for us”, which was special. Obviously there was the “festivities!” mood too, but I could really feel the air of everyone saying “welcome back” “we’re glad your back!” which I think was reflected in the success of our live.

Q: The transition of the colour of the sky from day to night was beautiful.

k: We couldn’t see it from where we were playing on the stage, but we were shown the views that everyone would have seen from the stand afterwards. You could really see the view over Tokyo as you watched the live – what an amazing venue. I’m sure it must have felt amazing. It’s pretty much only skyscrapers, but you can still feel the essence of the city of Tokyo. It felt unbelievable.

Q: Your intro for “MY HEART DRAWS A DREAM” fitted the atmosphere perfectly. It was as if the sound was blending into the sky.

k: I was free to do what I wanted with that part. When playing a song, there’s always a set tempo or key. Obviously there was a key and tempo for my part too, but it’s rare that there’s something you can play so freely at your own will. To me that was the ultimate time where I could “pick up” something from the stage and audience, so I tried to space out as much as I can. But actually, inside, I was trying really hard to “pick up” ginkgo nuts. (N.B get ready for one of ken's famous "I'm going to give you an example expression although no one will understand"s!)

Q: Ginkgo nuts? (laughing)

k: Yes (laughing). Actually, there’s plenty of ginkgo nuts on the floor. So I would try really hard to pick lots of ginkgo nuts off the floor, and show everyone.

Q: So you showed everyone the nuts, not throw them?

k: I don’t know… maybe sometimes I’d throw them? I wouldn’t eat them myself, but instead I’d go “Oooh! Look what I’ve picked!” and show everyone, or throw it to them. And as I continue to pick them, there’ll be some that are thrown back at me – to which I’d think “Ah? You’ve just thrown me a nut?” and maybe pick it up, and by the time I feel “I’ve picked up plenty!” I’d start playing the song. It felt like that.

Q: So it was as if you were sensing the atmosphere of the venue, picking up on all the vibes and emotions of the audience and then expressing and delivering that back with your guitar play? (thank you interviewer person for explaining this whole ginkgo nut concept! Wtf!?)

k: Yes. Sometimes if I’m standing there spacing out, I’d suddenly think “wait, what am I going to play?” but then I’d think “Noo, don’t think about it” and just go straight into it. So that guitar part would change each time, which I really enjoyed.

Q: I see. Also memorable was the dance with the cheerleaders during the MC before SEVENTH HEAVEN. I felt touched by your spirit as an entertainer.

k: You felt touched!?

Q: Yes. Obviously it was hilarious (laughing). Who’s idea was that?

k: First, hyde said “wouldn’t it be hilarious if you do your MC surrounded by cheerleaders?”. To which I thought “Obviously that would be hilarious” (laughing). So I did that for the first day. But then I thought “Everyone will be expecting me to do the same on the second day, so what should I do to make it funnier?”. And then I came up with “Ah, it’ll look like I’m just surrounded by them, and then I’ll suddenly start dancing with them!?”. So on the day, after the rehearsal, which would be the time when I would be practising my MC during the world tour, I asked the coach of the cheerleading squad to come to my dressing room and asked her/him “is there something I’d be able to dance too?”. At first she/he showed me something really simple, so I was like “actually, I can do a bit better than that!”.

Q: (laughing) I guess he/she was letting you off lightly at first.

k: Exactly. I was obviously grateful for that, but at the same time I was like “eeehhhh!?” (laughing). And when I asked “what's my cue to start dancing?” he/she was like “it’s fine, you’ll know if you look at the cheerleaders” and I was like “eeehhhh!?” again. But actually, for the real thing I did manage to sense a “come on, come on, let’s go!” type aura from the cheerleaders which worked as a cue! …not that I’m saying I managed to dance it well (laughing).

Q: (laughing) That was a true  highlight of the festivities. I also noticed that you were applauding a lot by clapping your hands. Why was that?

k: If you tell me now that I was applauding I think I can remember doing so, but I think I was doing it without knowing. If I heard one of the members saying something during the MC where I thought  “wow, what great words” I’d clap. If the audience appeared to be enjoying the sound, I would think “great!” and clap. It was a way of delivering my feelings I guess.

Q: By feeling and sensing the air throughout the course of the gig, did you feel different at the start and end of the live?

k: Yes. At the beginning, despite there being a fixed pattern, I would go on not knowing if I could feel “something” on the stage. But once I was on, I’d think “Wow! That’s the sort of air that everyone has!”, and continue through the tracks sensing and recieving all those feelings throughout. So my feelings would have also changed from the beginning and the end.

Q: Having seen the footage, what did you think of the way the four of you stood as a band?

k: Erm.. I don’t know how to describe it. Interesting. Or maybe intriguing? Having been together for 20 years, there's certain aspects where I think “I’ve seen this side of the members before”, but every time we stood on the stage, it felt fresh. Throughout the time that we played in Japan, toured the world, came back to Japan and then finally played at the National Stadium, every time it felt different and fresh. It was interesting. Maybe I felt excited? Yes, so indeed it was intriguing.

Q: Why do you think that is?

k: I wonder? We’ve never spoken about things like that between the members, but I guess it’s because we all have different interests.

Q: You’re all full of curiosity?

k: Yes, indeed. And that comes out in their stage presence or performance. Seriously, even how they stand on the stage feels fresh. Fresh, but also comfortable.

Q: Surely it’s not easy to maintain those two?

k: Exactly. But somehow we manage to achieve both.


:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*::*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*

tetsuya

The footage from the National Stadium live shows tetsuya tearing (crying) as he looks up at the sky whilst playing the final number “Niji”. What emotions were behind these tears? We asked tetsuya about the National Stadium gig and the world tour.

Q: This is the first time that L’Arc~en~Ciel have released live footage in the Blu-ray format.

t: Personally, whenever I buy films I only buy Blu-rays, so I’m glad we’ve finally managed to release our own work on Blu-ray.

Q: The Blu-ray is being released as a Limited or Regular edition, and the DVDs are released in 10 different versions – that’s a total of 13 versions. What was the idea behind this?

t: I’m not actually involved in that side of things – I guess it’s the strategy of the record company and our management. I leave all that to the staff.

Q: What were the important points when it came to editing the live forage?

t: I can’t remember – it was back in around autumn last year that we did the editing (laughing).

Q: There were several cameras recording from various angles – which highlighted lots of new surprises.

t: I think the fans who were there wouldn’t have seen every little detail either, so by releasing this footage they’ll be able to notice different things too – like “so that’s what happened there!”.

Q: Your expression as you looked up at the sky during “Niji” was very touching. We can see you shedding some tears?

t: I felt very touched and emotional when I saw the balloons at the end. Actually, apparently it was meant to be a surprise, but I somehow heard someone just before the encore saying that there were going to be balloons at the end. I just remembered now that I thought “Why would you say that now if it’s a surprise?” (laughing). But at the time I’d forgotten that I’d even heard about it. As I was waiting for the encore I saw what seemed like balloons covered in a big sheet, and wondered what they were. When I saw the balloons being released I figured out that was what I’d seen. I was touched, but if they had managed to keep it a proper surprise I’d probably cried a lot more (laughing).

Q: What were your thoughts as you stood there on the stage?

t: It’s the same for any final for any tour, but I always think “This could be my final stage, ever”.

Q: Meaning that you play every final so that you're left with no regrets? How was the view from the National Stadium stage?

t: I’d always wanted to play at the National Stadium – but it took a while to get the permission for it, and it’s a difficult venue to play even if you want to. Out of all the members, I think I was the one who felt the strongest about playing there. The view from the stage was fantastic.

Q: What did it look like?

t: It felt amazing seeing the Olympic flame as we played – it's a big venue but you can still enjoy the view. We weren’t allowed to set up the stage lengthways because of the noise problem (N.B. The National Stadium has strict rules about the amount of noise produced from the gigs because it’s open air and is slap bang in the middle of Tokyo) but by making the stage wider there isn’t much depth to the stage, so compared to the Tokyo Dome or the Nissan or Ajinomoto Stadiums, even the audience at the back of the venue can get a good view. Although that means it’s tiring for us as it’s such a wide stage (laughing). It’s a brilliant venue – everyone can get a good view and it’s easy to access because it’s in the middle of Tokyo.

Q: Even from the live footage we could enjoy the great view.

t: There was a camera that was recording from behind the Olympic flame – it’s really picturesque as it captures the high-built Shinjuku skyscrapers behind the stage.

Q: It’s where the opening ceremony of the Tokyo Olympics were held – it’s a special venue suited for big festivals.

t: I’m a big fan of football – and the National Stadium is a prestigious place for football fans. It’s where the high school football tournaments are held, as well as where the international games. I’ve been to see the football there many times, so I felt happy to be able to perform at such a place.

Q: Did you feel any changes within yourself having played at this venue?

t: I felt honoured that we were the first rock band to have played at the National Stadium, so I felt very happy. There were plenty of “firsts” during this tour. We were the first Japanese artists to play a frontline gig at the MSG in New York, and we were also the first rock band to play at the National Stadium. There were countries where we played for the first time – all these things made us really happy.

Q: Your words “Thank you very much” after the end of the live was also very touching. Normally you just shout “Mattane-“ (see you again), but you stayed for a bit longer this time.

t: I felt like I wouldn’t mind if this was my last ever gig – and I wanted to deliver this feeling of gratitude and thanks.

Q: Did you feel that the band has become even more powerful after completing the world tour?

t: This may seem surprising, but I don’t usually watch back any previous lives. I’ll take part in the editing of the footage but once that’s done I don’t watch it again. I don’t watch any TV programs that I’m in either. I don’t check anything that’s past. It’s like when actors forget everything completely after they’ve finished acting a part so that they can take on a new role – I do the same. Once one thing is complete, I’m already thinking of the next.

Q: That’s a very positive outlook.

t: I forget everything – the good things and the bad. It’d be terrible if I felt I don’t want to tour again because I remember everything and anything (laughing).

Q: Did you feel that your tears at the National Stadium would be the beginning of the next step?

t: Lots of things happen during a tour – including plenty of things I feel frustrated about. Once a tour starts, it’s like being on a rollercoaster – even if you shout “stop!” you can’t stop, and even if you say “I want to get off”, you can’t. You just have to keep going til the final. Even if there’s something I want to check, you have to press on. With anything else I’d be able to say “wait a minute”, re-organise everything, make sure I’m happy with it and then carry on. But you can’t do that with a tour. So it’s very stressful while we're on tour – much more so than usual. So that’s why it’s all the more important to prepare well and organize immaculately.

Q: It seems that the all the experiences from this tour will hopefully be put to good use for next time.

t: Yes, there were things that we’d never been able to predict since it was our first time. There are other Japanese artists who tour the world to play at small live houses with a 200-300 capacity, but there’s never been an artist from Japan who have toured to play Arena-sized venues. In such large venues, there are plenty more things to arrange and organize compared to live house gigs, so it was much effort for the staff as well.

Q: It’s the most effort for the members yourselves, but surely L’Arc~en~Ciel have opened up new paths?

t: Personally, that's not something I actually think of. We’re not a band that’s only focused on playing abroad, nor a band that’s wanting to do things that no one else has done before. When we played the final of the “TOUR 2000 REAL” at the Tokyo Dome in 2000, I also thought “Ah, this may be my final stage” – but since then we’re still here after 12 years, and that’s something I find amazing (laughing).

Q: As much as you can’t predict the future, do you want to play at the National Stadium again?

t: The current National Stadium is being demolished and will be rebuilt (due to be completed in 2019). The building, designed by Zaha Hadid (Iraqi architect residing in the UK), will be able to hold more than 80,000 people, so I’m interested to see what it’ll be like. I wonder how the view from the stage would be.


:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*::*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*

yukihiro

yukihiro’s drums, usually known for its stoic and precise style, seems to emanate a sense of warm gentleness in the DVD/Blu-ray “20th L’Anniversary WORLD TOUR 2012 THE FINAL LIVE at the National Stadium”. Is this a result of years of experience? Or a sense of instantaneous accomplishment?

Q: What was the world tour finale National Stadium gig like?

y: I don’t know…actually, maybe it felt like “that's one thing accomplished”. It was fun, and enjoyable.

Q: Watching the footage, I noticed that you look rather radiant, and fresh. That was really striking.

y: Maybe I looked fresh because I’d just had my hair cut (laughing).

Q: Your facial expression when you played the last beat of “Anata”’s outro was so gentle and soft.

y: yeah?

Q: I bet you don’t know how to react to that (laughing)?

y: (Laughs)

Q: Is there anything that was particularly memorable from the gig? Like the scenery, or something more specific?

y: The view of the stands was beautiful. And the balloons.

Q: The limited edition Blu-ray features 4 tracks with multi-angle movies of each member, and your angle shows the balloons doesn’t it? You’re eyes are on the drumheads until the moment when the balloons are released – and then you look up, with a big happy smile on your face.

y: Really? (laughing)

Q: Did the world tour leave you with any future challenges?

y: I want to gain even more experience and even out the variability in my drumming – like the difference between the times when I play well and not so well. Because we were touring around different countries, I was cautious of how to maintain my physical condition. But I felt like there was too much variability in the quality of my performance, so I want to be able to drum well, every time, wherever I'm playing.

Q: Is that something you’d considered before going on the tour too?

y: Yes. But despite that there were still lives where I felt I played better than others. I don’t know if that’s a matter of experience, or a matter of practice, but I felt that I could have done better.

Q: How would you rate your National Stadium gig performance in terms of "well" or "not well"?

y: I can’t really remember anymore. Our schedule was very tight and the setlist had changed too, so there wasn’t much time or space for thought.

Q: There were plenty of stage effects too.

y: Yes, but I also felt that I have to learn to handle all those things too.

Q: When you play at a historical and legendary venue like the National Stadium, do you have a different mindset?

y: I didn’t to start with. But, just like how I felt for the Madison Square Garden gig, as the time got closer everyone around us started to get very excited (laughing). And as I was told of the reasons why it was such a big deal, I thought “Oh, I see, yes” and started to get nervous. It’s often like that for me – initially I don't really understand why everyone around us is getting so excited (laughing). Because my main concern is to perform well wherever the venue is, the actual place doesn’t really affect me. So when everyone gets excited about playing at the MSG, or the National Stadium, it only hits me later. I finally feel “oh wow!” on the actual day.

Q: Did you feel “oh wow!” this time?

y: In the case of the MSG gig, it hit me, like “we’re finally here” once we landed in New York. And then as soon as I stood on the stage during the rehearsal, I was like “OK, so this IS exciting” (laughing). For the National Stadium gig, once I saw the Olympic flame during the rehearsal, I thought that it was amazing that we’re playing in such a big open air stadium slap bang in the middle of Tokyo.

Q: The regular edition of the Blu-ray boasts the high quality sound specifications of 96LHz/24bit. You must have felt strongly about this?

y: If we were going to release it I wanted it to be 96KHz/24bit.

Q: You’ve always talked about how you feel that there is a limit to the sound quality within CDs.

y: In the case of CDs, I think the technology to record tracks in the 16bit format is improving drastically, so even if the 44.1KHz/16bit format hasn’t changed, I think the sound quality is better. But this time, since we were releasing the gig in the Blu-ray format, I wanted the best sound quality possible. Not everyone may have the equipment to enjoy the high sound quality, but since we’d recorded it in the good quality format, I wanted to use it.

Q: Even without the high spec equipment, if the original sound quality is high you can enjoy the sound better right?

y: I hope that’s the case.

Q: And the limited edition DVDs come with a CD featuring the live recording from the various world tour gigs. Personally, which one do you think is the best?

y: I’d have to say all of them.

Q: I thought you may say that (laughing). What about if I ask which gig you felt the most happy with, or the one which you felt good?

y: In that case… maybe Bangkok and Paris? I felt good about these two gigs.

Q: What do you think about the fact that the live is being released in 13 different versions?

y: It’s an idea that I would never have though of myself. I thought it could be interesting.

Q: And that idea became real.

y: Yes. If this had been 13 different versions of a single, I would have been against it (laughing). But because the live footage costs more and I doubt there’s anyone out there who will try and buy all 13 versions, I thought it may be interesting to make everyone choose their own favourite. You can buy different ones with your friends and share, and things like that.

Q: I see. So what do you think is the highlight of this gig?

y: Erm… I wonder (laughing)? (looks at set list) That’s an amazing set list (laughing). It makes me think things like "oh we didn’t play that song"?? (laughing)

Q: (laughing) You spoke of the balloons earlier, but the glowsticks during “Anata” was also amazing.

y: It’s one of the best things about playing in a big outdoor venue.

Q: And the fireworks at the end were superb. If you look at the footage, as soon as the fireworks start you stood and looked up at them too. How did you feel looking up at the sky?

y: I think I felt a sense of relief.

Comments

ads